I was making a batch of my Chicken Cups today and thought that I should snap some quick photos and share the recipe with you all, as they are one of the Littlest Brewster’s favorite meals. And they are so easy to make! This is a recipe I totally made up – all by myself- one day when trying to figure out something for LB to have for dinner and it has become one of our go-to meals for her. I always have a batch of them in the freezer for a no-brainer lunch or dinner.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a dozen Chicken Cups:
- 1 can of Black Beans (No Salt Added) or the equivalent amount of cooked dried black beans (I always mean to save money and make dried beans, but I always forget and run out of time)
- 1 8 oz can of chicken breast
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- A little bit of chili powder and garlic powder
- Olive oil for sauteing
- Mexican cheese (totally optional)
How to make:
1) First, saute your pepper and onion in a little olive oil until soft. I usually sprinkle on a little chili powder and garlic powder while it’s cooking to make these extra tasty. You can add as little or as much as you want, depending on how spicy you (or your little one) likes it.
2) Drain and rinse your beans and put them into a big bowl. Next drain and add your chicken, shredding it up as you do.
3) Stir in your peppers and onions and give everything a good mix.
4) Add in some Mexican cheese if you want at this point, but it’s not necessary as these are very tasty (and dairy-free) without it.
5) Portion everything out into those silicone baking cups I convinced you to buy and pop them into the freezer. Voila! You’re done!
Once the cups are frozen, you can pop them out of the silicone molds and put them into a ziploc bag until you want to eat them. Reheat in the microwave and let your little one go to town. Add another vegetable and you’ve got a complete meal.
Hope your kids love these as much as LB does!