Last night we tried out one of the “Cook with Kids” recipes from Rachel Ray magazine – and it was actually pretty darn tasty.
It was fairly quick and easy and the Littlest Brewster gave it her stamp of approval, so I figured I’d share it with you.
-4 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
-1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
-3 tsp ground ginger
-1 lb top sirloin steak
-1 quart reduced-sodium beef broth
-3 pkgs ramen noodles, spice packets discarded
-8 oz head of broccoli, cut into small florets
-1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
-1 jar baby corn, drained
1) Mix 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp oil, and 1 tsp ginger in a plastic bag or dish. Add steak and marinate at least 8 hrs. (The original recipe only called for 10 minutes, but I let it marinate all day.)
2) Bring the broth, remaining 2 Tbsp soy sauce, and 2 tsp ginger to a boil in a 3-4 qt pot. Reduce heat to simmer while you cook. Also bring a kettle or pot of water to a boil.
3) Heat the remaining oil in a medium skillet over med-high heat; cook the steak until desired done ness, flipping halfway. I cooked ours for 6 minutes a side to get to medium. Transfer the steak to a plate and let rest.
4) Place the noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover the bowl with a plate and let the noodles cook while you finish up.
5) Add the broccoli to the broth, cover, and cook 5 minutes. Add the peppers and corn, cover, and cook another 3-5 minutes, until broccoli and peppers are desired doneness. I don’t like raw broccoli, so I gave it a good 10 minutes total.
6) Thinly slice the steak, divide everything between bowls, and dig in!
Hope your family likes it as much as we did!