Okay, so you remember my post from a few weeks ago about garlic braiding?
Well, it turns out I am full of crap and have no idea what I’m talking about.
Okay, maybe I’m being a little hard on myself. I’m only moderately full of crap and I make mistakes…
Somehow, somewhere along the way, something went wrong with the garlic braiding process. The DreadBrewer and I went up to grab some cloves the other day and a large portion of the cloves are squishy, wet, and ruined. WTH?!?!?
So in an attempt to save them – or at least some of them – I trimmed them all out of their pretty braids and put them back under the fans in the garage.
DB assures me it’s not my fault and I didn’t ruin our garlic, but I’m still pretty upset. (Assuming guilt for things that may or may not be my fault or entirely out of my control is a specialty of mine.) I don’t know if it was soaking the stalks or if I didn’t wait long enough for the initial drying or if it was just one of those “shit happens” sort of things; regardless, I’m not a happy camper. I can only hope that we save enough of the harvest to plant this fall, because we can suck it up and buy garlic to eat if we have to.
On a happier note, we harvested the potatoes out of our two potato grow bags and ended up with 8 or so pounds of delicious red potatoes!
With the enormous leeks we’ve got ready to go, I foresee a batch of Potato-Leek soup in the near future! And luckily for us, given my recent ineptitude at crop storage, we’ll gobble these up before they have a chance to spoil. Now if I can just make sure that the shallots and onions don’t go bad prematurely…