I was a little nervous about how we were going to manage brewing now that there are 2 kids to keep an eye on. Okay, who am I kidding? I was pretty much convinced that it was going to be a complete and utter disaster. (Despite the fact that Elise has been successfully brewing with 2 kids for months and has thus proven that it can be done. She has mad mama skills, of which I am in serious envy…)
But I was pleasantly surprised.
So we didn’t hit our target O.G. And I had a momentary lapse and forgot that the yeast nutrient goes in at 10 minutes, not 15 minutes. Other than that, it was smooth sailing. The DreadBrewer and I didn’t even have our customary “first brew of the season and we have to recover our mojo” tiff.
It did help a lot that we timed it so the main part of the boil and cooling the wort occured while the Littlest Brewster was taking her nap. And that BIT is still portable enough that we could just move her little rocker chair wherever we needed to go.
But this gives me hope that all is not lost for a successful brew season. And I’m itching to make another batch ASAP. I was actually toying with the idea of trying to make some 1 gallon stove top batches (there was a good article in this month’s Brew Your Own) to try out some different styles before we commit to a full 5 gallons. Because as we’ve learned from experience, there’s nothing worse than being stuck with 5 gallons of not-so-tasty homebrew and no one to drink it besides yourself. (I’m talking about you, Indie’s Wheat that tasted like alcoholic bananas. And not in a good way.)
2 weeks in the primary, 2 in the secondary, and then a few days to carbonate – I can hardly wait until mid-October when our Ace of Spades Black IPA is ready to go!