Hello Baby!

The day after posting my Pregnancy #3 Update – Hello Due Date! I went into labor. Crazy, huh? Actually, crazy is my labor & delivery story but I’ll get to that after I tell you guys what you really want to know – Wally is….

… another daughter!!! 🙂 We now have three amazing girls and DB and I couldn’t be more excited.


Introducing the Itty Bitty Brewster!

And for a fairly quick (for me) rundown of the craziness of the Itty Bitty Brewster’s birth:

As you guys know, I decided to go ahead and start my maternity leave on my due date, Wednesday 10/19. I spent the day futzing around the house and ran a few errands (which DB yelled at me for, calling a Target run “not relaxing” but we all know that’s madness…). I had been having intermittent contractions for a few days, but nothing really painful or timeable or even consistent. Well, Thursday morning, around 1:00, I woke up with a legitimate contraction. I waited, and 5 minutes later, there was another one. I lie in bed for about an hour before telling DB that I was having contractions and that I was going to go downstairs to watch TV (since I wasn’t sleeping) and have some tea. I told him to stay in bed and get some rest.

From 2 to 3, I watched The Princess Bride and continued to have contractions every 5 minutes or so. Around 3, I went upstairs, told DB I was still contracting, and hopped in the shower to see if that changed my contraction pattern. After my shower, I was still having contractions so DB came downstairs with me and we discussed what our options were. Did we go ahead and call my mother-in-law to come over so we could go to the hospital and get checked out? Could I wait until the office opened at 8 so we could drop the girls off at school first and avoid making his mom drive in the dark? I really didn’t want to go to the hospital only to be sent home. Ultimately, we decided we’d wait until 5 to call his mom to come over, seeing how I felt at that point. DB went back upstairs to get some rest while I finished The Princess Bride.

By 4 am, my contractions were suddenly a heck of a lot closer together and a heck of a lot more painful. I texted DB that we needed to go ahead and call his mom so we could head in to the hospital. He asked if I had timed the last few and I hadn’t, so we timed a few to be certain and yep, they were every 2-3 minutes like clockwork. He called his mom and I called the OB on call and we got ready to go.

I wanted to wake up the girls and kiss them goodbye before we left, which was a good and a bad idea. The Littlest Brewster started crying because she was worried it would hurt for me to have Wally and because she was worried I “wouldn’t look like me” after I had the baby. She calmed down pretty quickly and was fine until it was time for us to go, at which point the Brewster-In-Training started to freak out. In fact, she’s sobbing hysterically in our last picture as a family of four.


We didn’t end up leaving for the hospital until 5:10 and it was a loooooong 30 minute drive to get there. Every time I would have a contraction in the car, I swear I felt every bump or ripple in the pavement. The DreadBrewer was great and talked to me the whole time, even managing to make me laugh a few times. I told him on the way that I was hoping I’d get there and be 8 cm, but that I was scared I’d get there and still be 2 cm like I was at our MD visit and get sent home.

Around 5:45 we went in to the Emergency Department entrance and were immediately wheeled up to OB Triage. Surprisingly enough, the RN who checked us in was a former patient of mine who was on duty the night the Littlest Brewster was born (though she wasn’t my nurse that night, as much as I wanted her). I got my gown on and got up on the stretcher and hooked up to the baby monitors and we started going over the admission questions. I had sort of been hoping she’d check me right away but instead we talked about past medical history, due date, how my contractions had been going. My first recorded set of vital signs was at 6:00 am (remember that).  Finally, I said, “I’m having a lot of pressure with contractions. Can you check me?” So she gloved up and got ready and…

The guy from patient registration walked in to get my ID and insurance!!! Gah! Luckily, DB took care of that stuff pretty quickly, the guy left, and the nurse was able to check me. And I was 8 cm dilated, 100% effaced, with a bulging bag of waters and Wally at 0 station. At that point, she started moving fairly quickly. She called Dr. Smith and the L&D nurse to let them know where I was labor wise and that she would be wheeling me right over to a delivery room.

I had a few more contractions on the stretcher on the way over to L&D and, as best I can figure, we rolled into that room around 6:15. There were about 4 nurses in there getting things all set up and they helped me over to the delivery bed. Dr. Smith came in and did one quick check and I was complete (10 cm, 100% effaced), Wally was at +1 station, and my water was still intact. So the MD broke my water, I had about 2 more contractions, and then we got down to pushing.

I started pushing at 6:25 and pushed really, really hard through 2 contractions and Wally was born at 6:31. Once the baby’s head was out, Dr. Smith had to cut the cord because it was wrapped around the neck so tightly, but he left it really long so DB could still trim it. And once the rest of the baby was out, DB investigated and told us we had another daughter! Hooray for girls!

(Quick side note: I could not have done this without the DreadBrewer. He was so good throughout the whole whirlwind process, staying calm and positive. He rubbed my back when I wanted and stopped touching me when I wanted and was just generally awesome. I don’t think I could ask for a better labor partner.)

A few minutes later, the placenta was delivered (which I anxiously made them assure me was intact, so thank you Elise for that deep and abiding fear of retained placenta) and Dr. Smith made sure that I had no tearing and didn’t need any sort of fixing up post-baby.


We got a whole hour of skin-to-skin before they took the Itty Bitty Brewster (IBB) to weigh and measure her. DB and I both knew right away that she wasn’t as big as the other girls had been – I guessed 8 lbs even and he guessed 8+3. She surprised us both and clocked in at 8 lbs 8 oz and 21″ long. Making her my longest, fastest, skinniest baby.

We’re both still in total shock that it went so quickly. Roughly 46 minutes from the time we arrived to the time I delivered her. If we ever have another, I think we’ll have to head in to L&D with my first contraction.

There’s still more that I could write, about pretty much insisting on being discharged 24 hours post delivery to the differences between 1st and 3rd baby post-partum to how the big girls are handling the transition, but I’m out of time for the moment. But I’ve got plenty of maternity leave ahead of me, so stay tuned!

1 thought on “Hello Baby!

  1. Aww… congratulations! Another sweet, beautiful baby girl to add to the mix! I hope the big sisters are adjusting well (and that your recovery is as speedy as your delivery!)

I love comments! Feel free to leave one!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s