When the DreadBrewer and I moved into our house, we didn’t actually plan very well for the day in the future when we would have a kid as we were deciding which room would be which.
This meant that when I was pregnant with the Littlest Brewster, we had to do a bit of juggling to turn the guest room into her room and the bonus room into a guest/bonus room. And we were sure we were set.
But we didn’t plan at all for the day in the future when we would have two kids.
Well, then I got pregnant with BIT and we realized that we’d never fit two kids into the room LB was currently occupying. (Because we’re jerk parents like that who are planning on making their kids share a room.) Her room is nice and bright because it’s got windows on two walls, but add in the door and the closet and there’s not a single unbroken wall. Which was seriously hampering my plan to get bunk beds for the kids. So I looked for a solution to my dilemma.
And you know which room had a long unbroken wall? DB’s office.
I think I may have mentioned this before, but my dear husband is a packrat of the the first degree. If there were a Nobel prize for hanging on to random miscellany from the past, the DreadBrewer would win without even trying. When we moved into our house, I told him the office was his to clutter up as much as he liked provided he made an effort to keep the crap necessary things in the rest of the house to a minimum. This has been sort of hit or miss, but he tries.
Given that we needed the office to be the kids room (and DB graciously agreed to my messing up his “system” with a room switch), we were faced with the serious dilemma of how to get everything where it needed to go. This ended up being a two weekend process that was exhausting.
First, we moved the stuff from the office into the bonus room.
(I’ve actually already moved a bunch of stuff before taking this picture of the old office.)
It was a lot of stuff to move.
The bonus room ended up just a little cramped…
Then we had to clean the carpets in the office and let them dry.
Then a few days later we had the bunk beds delivered and set up. And then the next weekend we had to commence the most difficult (read: most anger and shouting inducing) part of the whole process: move LB’s stuff to our room, move the office stuff to LB’s old room, and then move LB’s stuff into her new “Big Girl” room. (Why couldn’t we just move her stuff straight into her room, you ask? Because we had never gotten the computer desk out of the old office, which was a big roadblock for our plans to put her furniture in that room.) And then we had to clean up the bonus room.
About 30 minutes into the rearranging, I realized that I had seriously miscalculated how big the crib and dresser from the nursery are. There was NO way that both of those pieces were going in the Big Girl Room easily or well. Since BIT and I are planning on being in the bonus room for a bit anyway (at least while I’m on leave and DB is not), we compromised by putting the crib in the bonus room and sliding part of the dresser behind the bunks. This makes one section of the dresser inaccessible and it doesn’t exactly look amazing, but we hardly ever used that cabinet anyway and it means we don’t have to buy or sell any furniture.
LB’s “Big Girl Room”
A different view of the bunk beds
DB has admitted, after the ordeal of switching rooms was behind us, that the office is much nicer and brighter now than it was before.
We still haven’t unpacked the boxes of very important things from the move
In the interest of safety, we opted for the bunk beds that have a staircase rather than a ladder. An added bonus to this is that the stairs are drawers as well, so you get some extra storage out of the deal. (Though it does make the set up a good 2 feet wider than the ladder version.)
Ooo – stair-drawers!
Once we got the beds in place, I realized that we needed something in place to keep the Littlest Brewster from going up the stairs at night and falling to certain doom. So I had a piece of plywood cut to fit the opening and then wrapped it in a length of fleece to keep the wood from scratching our fancy new bunks.
The fact that the pattern ended up skewed rather than straight drives me absolutely crazy. But a) I don’t have enough fleece to redo it and I’m not about to buy more just satisfy my neuroses and b) I figure it’ll be good practice for letting go of the little things that I know will be necessary if I’m to survive the transition to two children.
The first night we put the Littlest Brewtser to bed in her big girl bed I was so nervous. I was worried this was going to be a horrific transition and everyone would end up crying by the end of the night. Surprisingly enough, it went really well. As long as one of us gets in bed with her for a few minutes to tell her a story, she’s pretty content then to just go to sleep. She is also still really proud of the fact that she’s sleeping in her big girl room all by herself. (A fact of which she informs us every morning.) The first nap out of the crib was a little more difficult, but we seem to have conquered that as well.
Sound asleep like a big girl
Yet another milestone that shows how far along the path of growing up she is. :*(